Welcome to the school counselor professional growth website!
School Counselor Institute
The School Counselor Instittue was created to support our beginning school counselors in SUHSD.
The School Counselor Institute is geared towards providing professional support and guidance to school counselors who are new to the profession. The program seeks to engage our school counselors in growth and learning opportunities so they are equipped to practice within a comprehensive guidance program model and have the tools to address our student’s needs.
Cohort members can expect to engage in mentorship, complete quarterly assignments, and attend quarterly workshops with the Counselor on Special Assignment. The purpose of these activities are to provide additional coaching, support, and collaboration in areas pertinent to members that further enhance their counseling skills.
Seminars-Year 0-2 Cohort
3:00pm – 5:00pm
Thursday, August 10, 2017 @ DO Room A/B (Orientation, 3:00pm – 4:30pm)
Thursday, September 7, 2017 @ PDC
Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ DO Room A/B
Thursday, February 8, 2018 @ DO Room A/B
Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ DO Room A/B
Monday, May 7, 2018 @ PDC (Culminating Session, 2:00pm – 3:30pm)
Seminars- Year 3 Cohort
Location @ PDC
Monday, August 14, 2017 2:00pm – 3:30pm (Orientation)
Monday, October 9, 2017 2:00pm – 3:30pm
Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Monday, May 7, 2018 2:00pm – 3:30pm (Culminating Session)
School Counselor Community is a newsletter for school counselors in the Sweetwater Union High School District. Click on the link below to access the first issue. Doing something creative, new, interesting with students, parents, staff or the community? We would love to hear about it! To submit an entry email Liliana.email@example.com.
School Counselor Community – May, 2017 issue
- Additional resources for counselors
SUHSD School Counselor Master Calender for 2017-2018
Upcoming Professional Growth Opportunities
- UC Counselor Conference @ UCSD, September 5, 2017, 7:30am – 3:00pm
- High School Counselor Financial Aid Workshop @ Scottish Rite Center, October 5 or 6, 2017, 8am – 12pm
- CASC Conference @ Riverside Convention Center, October 23-24, 2017
- College Board Counselor Webinars – Free counselor webinars focused on academic success, college admission, college financial planning, and counselor leadership.
Practicum or Fieldwork
Interested in completing your practicum or fieldwork hours in SUHSD? Click on the links below to learn more.
- Learn more about our district and what we have to offer
- Application for practicum/fieldwork: Fieldwork Application – Fillable
- Procedures for shadowing, practicum or fieldwork placement
If you are a current counselor in SUHSD and are interested in being a counselor supervisor you must:
- Have a minimum of three years of school counseling experience
- Have attended a Counselor Supervisor Orientation
- Complete the Counselor Supervisor Interest Form (must be signed into your Google Drive account to access)
Looking for personalized learning?
See below (and the twitter tab to the right!) for some free online options!
MOOCs: Massive Open Online Courses are offered FREE from universities around the globe – see below for some links to MOOC offerings. MOOCs are often self-paced classes available to individuals looking to expand their knowledge base in a variety of areas, with curriculum shared via videos, articles, and discussion forums for collaboration.
TED Talks: TED Talks are a great way to enhance your own professional growth. Browse the 2,000+ TED Talks available here to learn more about areas of your own professional interest.
Liliana Silva Diaz
Counselor on Special Assignment (COSA)
Doreen San Nicolas & Cynthia Acuña
Phone: (619) 407-4919