- Are you a teacher interested in developing as a teacher leader?
- Are you a teacher leader interested in collaborating with colleagues about enhancing your leadership without leaving the classroom?
- Do you enjoy discussing professional readings with other teachers in order to impact your students’ learning or your team’s productivity?
Come check out the SUHSD Teacher Leadership Book Study starting this Fall!
For Round One we will be reading and discussing The Innovator’s Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity by George Couros
- This book study is open to any teacher in the SUHSD.
- There will be two meetings and teachers will be paid extra duty to participate.
- The first meeting will be an orientation about the expectations of the Book Study.
- If you RSVP to attend and commit to participate, you will receive a copy of the book.
- Everyone who takes the book will be invited and encouraged to return for the second meeting, to discuss the book and how we can apply the principles from the book in our work here in the SUHSD.
- Each meeting will be offered on two different days; teachers wishing to participate may come to either day, as long as they attend one meeting #1 and one meeting #2.
- Meeting #1: 8/23 or 8/24 in the PDC
- Meeting #2: 10/17 or 10/18 in the PDC
- RSVP here so we will be expecting you!
The author will be hosting a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) called IMMOOC in October
UCSD and CSUSM Present an Open House for the UCSD/CSUSM Joint Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership
Monday, June 5th
Southwestern College Library & Learning Resource Center
Building 620, Room L238N
Open to all
Have you ever participated in a Twitter chat? It is a fun-filled hour where you can learn and share new ideas about education from the comfort of your own home.
The next SUHSD Twitter chat will take place on Tuesday, April 11 from 7:00-8:00 PM. To follow along and participate, please use the hashtag #suhsdlearns . We will be chatting about Digital Citizenship and our chat moderate will be Mari Venturino, a teacher from Mar Vista Academy (@MsVenturino).
For more information on Twitter chats, read here and here.
Dear Teachers, Counselors & Psychologists with a Preliminary Administrative Credential and Current Assistant Principals:
The Aspiring Administrator Academy (AAA) wants you! We are looking for a few good men and women who want to make a difference as leaders and mentors. We are asking you to join our growing platoon of innovators in the Sweetwater Union High School District.
If you are a current assistant principal, we would love to recruit you as a year-long mentor. In your role as a mentor, you will help aspiring administrators learn more about the assistant principal position.
If you are a current teacher with a preliminary administrative credential, not only will you gain valuable field experience, but you will collaborate with fellow cohort members to learn about the assistant principal position from a variety of perspectives.
To learn more, please preview the SUHSD Aspiring Administrator Academy website. In addition, please plan to attend one of our informational meetings:
- March 6 – 3:30 PM in the PDC
- March 7 – 4:00 PM in the PDC
- March 14 – 7:00 AM in the PDC
Give us a year… we will give you an experience that will prepare you to thrive as an administrator.
Purpose: The purpose of the Aspiring Administrator Academy is to recruit, train, support and retain high quality site-level leaders who will increase student achievement, close the achievement gap, and support innovative efforts to improve learning within the SUHSD. The Academy will offer training, mentoring, and a year-long apprenticeship to program participants for the purpose of advancing equity in the SUHSD.
The San Diego Area Writing Project offers a powerful professional growth opportunity for teachers through their Summer Institute. Applications are due January 13. For detailed information and the application, click here.
To read the latest Professional Growth Update you can click here or here. This update includes:
- SUHSD Learns
- Taco Tuesday & Twitter Too
- ObserveMe Challenge
- Edcamp619 save the date
- Google Certified Educator
- and more!
Now is your chance! There will be a local opportunity coming soon: January 21-22, 2017 at Mar Vista Academy. Click here for more details and to sign up for this exciting professional growth opportunity.
Please join us at the PDC from 4:00-6:00 PM for our second Taco Tuesday & Twitter too event! Beginner and advanced Twitter users are welcome. We will be introducing the value of Twitter as a professional tool for educators, discussing an #suhsd Twitter chat, and exploring ways to expand our Professional Learning Network (PLN). Please let us know you are attending and invite your friends and colleagues. Did we mention that there will be tacos?!
The 2016 SDCUE Tech Fair is Saturday, November 5 8:30-2:30. See the flyer here for more information and details about how to register for this professional growth opportunity.
Professional growth opportunity: A free, online workshop open to all educators, hosted by Google, and available here.